RSS

Friday, April 20, 2007

Bake Mix

The kids love pancakes and waffles. We usually buy frozen ones but they get sooo soggy when they have the least bit of syrup on them to the point the kids won't eat them. I bought a waffle maker but they don't like them made in that (although maybe they'll give them a second chance). So I made up some bake mix tonight, a "Bisquik" substitute some would call it. At least with homemade bake mix, you can add what you want, including using whole wheat or suguar substitutes. I'll just post the basic recipe:

Bake Mix
8 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup dried milk powder
1 cup oil
4 heaping tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt

Mix together well and store in a sealed container. Add water to desired consistency for biscuits or pancakes/waffles.

I think for biscuits, you bake them at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Since I make bread, I probably will just use the mix for pancakes and waffles. I hope the kids want them in the morning as I also made some syrup to go with them :)

Edited to add: We have made pancakes and waffles sucessfully with this by adding an egg and water to make the right consistency (using about a cup of mix at a time). the kids love it so we will save a ton on frozen breakfast foods, not to mention being able to make them healthier and less consumer waste. I may try garlic cheese biscuits to go with lunch later.

1 comments:

Carla said...

I babysat 3 girls last summer and they ate tons of waffles made from this mix every day. They loved it!! I was so thankful that I had this recipe to save me a ton of money that I would of otherwise spent on waffle mix or frozen waffles.