RSS

Monday, April 7, 2008

Doughnut Holes


Ok, ok, I never got to the cookies. This weekend was busier than expected but I do plan to make them sometime this week.

Last night there was mention of doughnuts but the kids went to sleep before I could get them together so I made some this morning. Very easy! Even easier since I made the dough too wet and instead of adding more flour, I just dropped them in for doughnut holes (or Timbits as we Canadians call them :) ). And while not the healthiest thing in the world, I tried to add a little nutrition to them.

Click on the picture for a larger view. The top ones are sprinkled with icing sugar, the lower left ones have cinnamon sugar on them and the bottom right were maple and have a maple glaze on them; all were very good! The maple ones got a little more brown which I attribute to adding maple syrup to the mix.

Doughnuts/Doughnut Holes

Beat together:
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup sugar and the rest equivalent stevia)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp oil, butter, margarine or shortening (I used an olive oil/canola blend)

Mix together:
1 cup ww. flour
1/2 cup flax meal
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup powdered milk

Mix the wet and dry together and add enough warm water to make a kneadable dough. Knead for a couple of minutes, roll and cut out (or shape by hand). Drop into oil heated to 350 degrees. Cook until a golden brown. If desired, roll in sugar, icing sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or coat with a glaze.

0 comments: