RSS

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Banana Bread...meh...

I made some banana bread and muffins this morning. I made some of my usual changes and since the recipe called for nutmeg, I added a bit. Not too much, not even as much as it called for (since I doubled the recipe), but enough that Ethan didn't like them and enough that it kind of overpowered the banana taste. So no more nutmeg for my banana bread!!

Here's the recipe with my tweaks in()

The Best Traditional Banana Bread Recipe

For the purists. A traditional banana loaf recipe with a touch of spice. Feel free to toss a cup of nuts in this recipe. No chocolate for this one as the spice will compete too much.

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, soft (1 cup pear puree for double batch)
3 bananas (ripe) (added one extra per batch)
2 eggs (2 eggs and 1/4 cup flax for double batch)
1 tsp soda, dissolved in 1 Tbsp cold water
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla (added extra as we like vanilla)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (did not add)
1/4 tsp nutmeg (this much for a double batch)


Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 350
  2. Combine and mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Place batter in a greased bread pan (bottom only) or in muffin tins.
  4. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. (took longer for bread, but our stove is slow. Muffins took about this long)
  5. Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan. Complete cooling on a wire rack
Makes one good sized loaf


Here are a couple of links I found that I really enjoy that I found:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/recipes (actually, the whole site is interesting with other useful information. As most sites, take some and leave some :) )

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/quiverfull This is the blog of the aforementioned site. Lots of step by step recipes that look very good!

0 comments: