RSS

Monday, October 4, 2010

Homemade Hot Dog Buns


I have been try for ages to find a good hot dog or hamburger bun recipe. I have attempted it before but never seem to be able to shape them properly. I don't make them enough to justify buying a hot dog bun pan (I can make hamburger buns just fine).

I found a very interesting blog the other day, Mennonite Girls Can Cook, and proceeded to read though a number of pages with the intention of looking through as much as possible. I bookmarked a number of recipes to go back and try.

They had a recipe for buns and I thought I would give it a try! I made the dough in the bread machine since I have a hard time kneading things these days.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons instant yeast
4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups hot tap water

I put these ingredients on the dough cycle and took it out after the first rising. I then rolled it out and cut into hot dog bun shapes. The first ones were really thick. I think what would work best is having them about as long as the hot dog and about two times as wide as the hot dog is around. Fold it over. Repeat for each one and place in a 9x13 pan so they aren't quite touching. Let rise until about double in height. Brush with an egg coat (beat a small egg with a couple tablespoons of milk; pullet eggs are great for this!). Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, slit down the middle for a place to put the hot dog.
The kids moderately liked these, as in they each ate one but they also each had one that was too big to eat. Mark liked them. I thought they were good. I hope the next time I will be able to shape them better. The first picture is Ethan's and the second is mine. I love sauerkraut and this kind is really good. In all honesty, I don't like making it. This kind is $2.39 or I can get double the amount but chopped for $2.99. It is a really good tasting kraut.

With the leftover dough, I rolled it out, covered with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and made cinnamon rolls! The kids love these. Mark likes them with raisins and the kids don't so I did half and half.

I didn't bother with the soaked dough since it was kind of a last minute supper idea. My sourdough starter isn't doing very good so I may start again. I may make a regular one and a gluten free starter. All the gluten free flours are 20% off at bulk barn. I just need to watch the video so I'll know what I need.

Also, I know hot dogs aren't the greatest food but something we like. They are somewhat locally made and other than summertime, not something we have very often.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi! I linked over from Pennywise. I need to try these. I've got a houseful of hotdog lovers and I've been serving them without buns. I will have to try your recipe!

Carla said...

Thanks for visiting! I think these are something you need to get a feel for making. I am going to try making them soaked next time. As is, they were pretty quick to put together :)