RSS

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Unbaked Pirate Cookies


Imagine my surprise when I discovered these are not common everywhere! They are one of my absolute favorite all time cookies. Kraft Pirate cookies. Ours were only 99 cents a box, dangerous, especially when you read the ingredients . Hmmmm. Can we do better at home?
Well, the story behind my recipe is that one morning before school, Ethan wanted a Pirate cookie. I thought since his school is nut free, it would be a bad idea since he'd go to school smelling of peanut butter and he would have the oils on his hands. He wanted it after school. There was only one left. I completely forgot he wanted it and ate it. Yes. Bad Mommy :(. That was weeks ago and I still haven't heard the end of it.
So yesterday I told him I would make peanut butter cookies. When I was a kid, my mom made cookies called P-oaties but apparently nothing like that exists on the internet that I can find. It is basically an oatmeal peanut butter cookie, sometimes made with chocolate chips.

Then I got busy. I realized I had to pick up the kids at their bus stop in 10 minutes. I looked for an unbaked recipe. They all had cocoa so I just omitted that. I also changed the ingredients around a little bit. Here is what I came up with and I will tell you what I would change for next time.
Unbaked Pirate Cookies

2 heaping half cups of honey (probably close to a cup and a half...too much!! see below)
1/2 cup butter, cut in small pieces
1/2 cup milk

Bring these three items to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes. Stir in the following:

pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup of peanut butter
splash of vanilla (1tbsp)
4 cups oatmeal

Mix well until the peanut butter is melted and it is well combined. Pour into silicone muffin liners or drop on parchment paper if not soupy. Chill.

Ok, these are super, super sweet. I should have just used 1/2 cup of honey. The recipes all called for 2 cups of sugar so I thought I would try to get close. Bad idea, too sweet, and I like sweet. Because of all the liquid, these were liquidy. I only had 4 cups of my Speerville organic Newfound oats left. Otherwise I would of just added enough so they would be like the drop cookie they were supposed to be. Next time, I will use a lot less honey as this was the big problem. They are delicious though but so sweet that when I tried to have a drink of milk after, I actually spit it out because it tasted bad from all the sweet on my tongue (note: the milk is good as I had some earlier).

All in all, once I got over the overpowering sweetness, they did taste like a pirate cookie! They didn't get too hard. I was suggesting to everyone to eat with a spoon since they were so gooey. I bought two more bags of oatmeal today so I will probably give them another whirl. However, I will probably make them with cocoa and not peanut butter so the kids can take them to school.

0 comments: