This is a throwback to my low carb days where on a message board I participated in, we would come up with all kinds of concoctions to help us over come our craving for the foods we were giving up. Fortunately, this is a winner that is easily adaptable to real food. It is tasty and fills the tastes that one may crave if they don't have fast food out of their system.
This is a pretty loose recipe. You may love onions or hate them. You may want lots of pickles or not. Play with it and adjust to your taste. All ingredients are somewhat local, organic and the beef is pastured . It is better than the "real" thing because this is the real thing!
Big Mac Salad
Big Mac Salad
- lettuce or other salad greens (darker are healthier)
- sliced white or red onions
- slices of tomato and pickle if desired
- "special sauce" (check out this thousand island dressing at Kelly The Kitchen Kop's site, it is what I used)
- a slice of real cheddar cheese or grated (I used extra old Cows Creamery cheese)
- 2 hamburger patties or desired amount of crumbled ground beef
- a sprinkle of sesame seeds (optional; I didn't have any on hand)
Layer the ingredients in your bowl or on your plate in the order listed. It is a very yummy salad that is flexible to your tastes. So very very good and it satisfies the need for a fast food fix. I made mine from leftovers so it went together in no time. I like chopping it all up and eating it all mixed up. Yum!! I'll have to make it again soon :)
Part of gnowfglins Tuesday Twister, Kelly The Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesday, and The Healthy Home Economist's Monday Mania!