RSS

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Loosening The Reigns

I can be hard on myself.  I am prone to setting high standards and being upset at myself up when I can't keep them, even if they weren't realistic for me.

I have read a few blog posts from others who do the same thing (well, maybe not exactly the same) and it made me realize, it's ok to not be perfect.  We should certainly try to do the best we can but if we don't reach perfection, it is ok, life goes on.

I really haven't felt like cooking lately.  It is a chore, mainly because I got behind on dishes and am finding it hard to catch up.  We've been using paper plates on occasion  *gasp*.  Sure they're compostable and I bought them from a store that would probably just throw them in the garbage if they didn't sell (Christmas clearance stock), but it was making me feel bad.  I try to be a very green person and I am using a disposable product.  Well, today I will get the dishes finally completely done and I will make it a priority to do the dishes after every meal or as need.  My family always keeps a sink full of water and washes everything as it gets dirty but having OCD, I keep thinking of all the germs breeding in that dirty water sitting there all day, lol!

This morning I promised the kids I would make cinnamon rolls for breakfast.  Shaylee even woke me at 6:45 since I didn't hear my alarm, lol!  It has been so long since I baked with regular flour that it had gone rancid.  Not a surprise since flour loses it's nutrition at an alarming rate and since I was "good" and bought whole wheat, it goes rancid very quickly.  As a side note, I think I am going to save my swagbucks for a grain mill :).  Anyway, rancid flour.  I have flour in the basement but I didn't want to get it.  I wanted to go back to bed, but knew my kids were looking forward to yummy cinnamon rolls (yes, we were going to have gluteny ones since I couldn't find a quick gluten free one-yet).  So I used spelt and rice flour and they were wonderful.  The kids wanted frosting but to bad.  I made a caramel sauce on the bottom by melting butter and maple syrup on the bottom of the pan, then placing the rolls on top to bake and together it made a yummy, ooey gooey treat.  I pushed on, went with it and everything worked out.

So I need to be easier on myself, go with the flow and loosen the reigns a little.  However, I know I need to do something to keep it all together.  Right now my primary role as a mother is to nurture and nourish my family, both in body and soul.  So one of the things I need to do is meal plan again.  I have proven once more that failing to plan leads to planning to fail.  We've had quite a bit of food waste due to my carelessness and we can't afford that.  I need better planning, especially once we start our CSA.  I need to prove to Mark that it is a good value :)

So today I am going to take inventory and start planning what we will be eating.  I will be back soon with meal plans.  Oh, it's so hard for a disorganized person like me!

5 comments:

Johnlyn ~ Frugality and Homemaking said...

Did you happen to see my post today? Flylady will be your new BFF:

http://www.hummingbirdhomemaking.com/2011/02/home-making.html

Here's her main page:

http://www.flylady.net/pages/welcome_main.asp

I love love love her system. No guilt and she will get you organized IF you DO the system. One little babystep at a time with enough gentle guidance and shoves to keep you motivated.

My house was truly a wreck without her. All I wanted was a clean house, but could only manage to clean the bathtub and everything else would totally fall apart. Could it be because I'd spend 4 hours cleaning the tub to get it done perfectly?

I never thought I was a perfectionist until I read about her.

Ask me questions if you want to!

Carla said...

I've been a flybaby for 8-9 years and I still have trouble getting by, lol! When I am doing the system, everything is great but I fall quickly and hard. Then I have trouble getting back up. I get the emails and have her on Facebook but it's easy to ignore her, lol! I think I'll get back into the swing of things with a Monday House Blessing and start doing the missions again since things are getting somewhat more manageable and I'm slowly coming out of my fog

Thanks!!

Johnlyn ~ Frugality and Homemaking said...

Oh don't get me wrong, I fall down ALL THE TIME!!!

You should have seen my kitchen yesterday when my poor husband came home!

She's the only reason I have hope though!

I don't think you should start Monday though...go set your timer and do 5 minutes worth of work.

Just 5 and you must stop after 5.

I got a lot better when I could do things in 5 minute increments instead of 15. For some reason 15 overwhelmed me!

I hope I didn't come across as though my house looks great. It's good usually, rarely great and I stay at home all day without kids!

Carla said...

lol, that's ok! I think most people do and it's normal :). I try to think of my house as "lived in". I tend to compare myself to people who are born organized and/or don't have husbands and children around to keep up after and I can't do that.

Tonight I got the dishes done (I didn't want to but I did), sink shined, counters cleaned, oats soaking, laundry folded and before I go to bed, I'll gather up the dirty laundry to do in the morning and get my clothes out for tomorrow. Babysteps :)

Johnlyn ~ Frugality and Homemaking said...

I'm currently cleaning up my email inbox...I don't want to either, but I'm going to!

Do your oats taste sour when you soak them?

I've tried it before and didn't like them.