RSS

Friday, March 11, 2011

Probiotics R' Us

I have been very sick lately.  It seems I have been more sick than healthy since December.  I can't shake it.  I have decided that I am going to start taking tons of probitics to help heal my gut and hopefully start to stregnthen my immune system.  I bought two containers of kefir and I take some a few times a day.  I also have yogurt, sauerkraut, sour pickles (fermented) and something else I can't think of right off....  I am trying to have some fermented food with each meal and sips of kefir in between.

I was told that the kefir grains I have should be ok for making water kefir.  They got lost in the fridge and I was paranoid to use them.  I was told after making and tossing a few batches, they should be fine.   I need to let the chlorine evaporate out of our tap water first and I saved some egg shells to put in it.  I need to remember to always leave water out if I am going to give this a good go.  Water kefir will be a lot cheaper than buying or making dairy kefir.

I need to ask about my kombucha.  I am embarrassed to say that it has been in my fridge since December.  I made it, it brewed for a few days, I put it in the fridge with the scoby, covered it and basically forgot it.  I checked it a month ago and it grew a few babies so I know it's probably doing ok, but I don't know why I am so scared to try kombucha.  Probably because I read it is very detoxifying and if you drink too much with amalgam fillings, it can have a bad effect on the body.  Of course if I made it and only drank small amounts, it shouldn't be so bad.  I will have to think on this.

I still have some OCD driving me crazy.  I hate it.  I don't want to be scared of my food.  Food is essential, healing and a big part of life!  I just wish I could be as scared of junk food as I am of ferments, lol!

2 comments:

Sue said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. You were so kind to comment on my blog when I was having health issues (I just found those comments today!). I wanted to do the same. Be of good cheer!

Cat said...

Feel better soon! careful about putting your milk kefir in water, they feed on lactose and casein, too long in water (a water fast time to time is ok for them) and they can die. Cheers from another kefir lover!! :)