RSS

Friday, June 20, 2008

Oatmeal Cake

Ok, I had a ton of trouble finding a recipe for an oatmeal cake. They were all the same! A cake with broiled coconut topping. I wanted something different that had items I keep in storage for something different as a dessert. Mine is still in the oven but here is what I have done (and am doing)

Oatmeal Cake

1 1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats

Combine these 2 items and set aside to cool

1 large baby food bottle of peaches (about 1 cup of puree)
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
generous squeeze of molasses
1/2 cup sweetening equivalent of stevia (could just use 1/2 cup white sugar)
1 egg

Mix these items well. Add in:

1/4 cup ground flax
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
a few shakes of salt
1/2-1 tsp nutmeg

Mix well and add in oatmeal. Stir until everything is well mixed. Bake in a 350 preheated oven for 34-40 minutes (the original recipe says 8x8 pan but I accidentally put it in a 9x13 pan, which would need less baking).

This is the original topping recipe:

  • 6 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 2/3 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
But I am thinking of trying coconut milk mixed with icing sugar. I have a dented can that needs to get used up. I don't know if the kids would go for actual coconut. I will update with a picture and what I did about the frosting :)

Edit to add: The cake came out DELICIOUS!! It was a welcome change from the usual chocolate or vanilla. It was dense and moist and oh so yummy! It tasted like raisins would be in it but oddly had the texture of raisins in it. My nutmeg was organic and I think that made a difference (I never thought it would). My frosting didn't turn out; it was more of a glaze so next time I may try what was given (instructions are to mix ingredients, spread on cake and broil until coconut is browned). I put a bit of canned frosting on the kids pieces and Ethan asked for a second piece....with no frosting! I couldn't believe it! Definitely a must make again, maybe muffins next time :). I'll take a pic tomorrow if I can find the camera batteries.

0 comments: