I am restarting my nest egg for a side of beef and am comitting to not shopping at grocery stores, unless I am using gift cards or it is an item that is cheaper anywhere else. I had a couple proud moments this week when I put back the 1kg tubs of candy which, while they were only $2.44, we certainly did not need them! I also put back some fruit cups that were made in CHINA! Ugh! I had already bought some so we'll keep them, but why buy fruit from China when we can pick our own?
Speaking of fruit, the green tomato mincemeat is divine! I canned some a couple of years ago but I decided this year I would just freeze it. I am still wary of canning after some lid incidents that made my canned goods go bad. I semi followed a recipe from southernfood.about.com, so I will post what I used as a base and add my additions.
Old fashioned green tomato mincemeat recipe.
Ingredients:
3 quarts chopped green tomatoes
1 1/2 quarts peeled, chopped tart apples
2 cups raisins
1 cup currants
1/2 cup diced candied citron, lemon or orange peel
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup Vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a large heavy pan.
(Omit cloves if you plan to freeze mincemeat.)
Cook mixture slowly until it is tender and thick,
about 1 hour or more. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
To can, pour boiling mixture into hot, sterile jars,
leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal promptly.
Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
Store in a cool dry place.
To freeze, pack cold mincemeat into freezer jars or containers,
leaving about an inch headspace for expansion.
Seal and freeze promptly.
Makes about 5 to 6 quarts of green tomato mincemeat.
_________________________________________________________
So obviously I didn't can it. I also added tons of chopped apples,
probably at least twice as much as it called for,
and I didn't measure the tomatoes, but I used about 5lbs.
I mixed the ingredients in a huge bowl and had to divide
it between my two big pots to cook. I also didn't have
currants or allspice (but I added some mace; I was a
little heavy handed with the spices) and I used candied fruit.
I think it's very versatile, especially if you are freezing it.
I like that it doesn't freeze solid so you can use it right out of the freezer.
I plan to make more as I am sure we are going to be
using to use lots of it! Ps: I was having trouble formatting,
sorry this looks weird!

0 comments:
Post a Comment