RSS

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Salmon Salad


I made the soaked brown rice last Friday and it was pretty good. Everyone except for Ethan loved it, but he's picky and wouldn't even touch it. The big problem was there was a ton left over!

About 10 years ago or so, there was a big thing with rice salads around here. Generally you took rice, dumped salad dressing and some vegetables in it and voila, you have a rice salad. I think it was Kraft's way of getting people to buy their stuff.

I decided to make a healthier version of their rice salad.

Salmon Salad
4 cups leftover brown rice
1 can wild salmon
1/4 cup mayonaise of choice (more or less to taste, preferably homemade, but I used the last bit of my Hellmans with Olive oil; it's made with canola oil in Canada, which is still an unhealthy fat in real food circles)
2 or 3 whole green onions, chopped
Other vegetables to taste

Break up the brown rice and wild salmon in a large bowl. Add the mayo and onions and stir well until everything is well mixed. Chill until ready to serve

This would taste great with sliced peppers or on a bed of greens. I didn't have either so I had it as is and it was very good! I used a lemon pepper herb blend to season it, but it tasted good even without it.

1 comments:

healy said...

This sounds positively delicious!xoxo