RSS

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Taste Changing Seasonally?

I notice that my tastes are changing to reflect what is seasonal(ish).  Not entirely but getting there.

We live in a world where we can eat any food we want any day of the year.  Strawberries in January?   Yep, the store has them!  Salad on Christmas?  Why not!  Well, you get the picture.

I have always eaten salad year round, for example. Now it just does not appeal to me.  I have bought organic salad greens twice this month and other than my daughter who loves salad, it has largely gone uneaten and bad.  I bought some cherries the other day and they just were not good to me.  Over the years I realized that cucumbers any time of the year than when they come out of the garden are mealy and gross.  You can just tell when something does not taste right.

Let your labels be your guide.  If the produce at the grocery store has a local label, you will know that it was not shipped in from far away where it is either in season in another part of the world or artificially brought into season (usually they will say hot house if it is raised that way and I am still deciding how I feel about that but since hot houses are not common here, I guess I don't need to worry too much about it since I don't eat them).  (I edited this to add at our stores, it says where the food comes from either on the signs or labels.  If this is not the case where you shop, don't be afraid to ask!  If enough people ask for local food, it may drive demand for stores to carry it).

Find out what is in season locally.  While some places that are cold in the winter don't grow much in the winter, like here, many things keep well over winter and are considered winter vegetables.  This time next year I will be part of a CSA so I will find out just what they have this time of year.  Quite frankly, I'm really excited about that!!  See if that is an option in your area.

Eat what you stored.  I have tons of berries and veggies I froze when they were in season.  I didn't can this year at all but for some people, that is a great option.

Now, I'm not perfect.  I don't ever want anyone to get the idea that I do everything perfectly, no, no, no.  I still sometimes buy things that I'm not sure of, sometimes I go the cheap route because we're poor, sometimes I buy things because the kids like them and yes, more than I care to admit, we have eaten out recently at fast food joints (cringing inside because of the canola oil).  I am on a journey and I can't get there in one giant step, but in lots of baby steps.   Real food living takes a lot of changes, requires a new way of thinking and seeing things.  It is a process, one that is not popular in the "real world" in which I live in.

Now, today I am hoping to make what will be a real treat.  My favorite Chinese restaurant has something called "Honey Garlic Wonton Strips" which are so good.  Basically they fry thin strips of wonton wrappers and serve them in a heap with honey garlic sauce (which still has bits of the beef in it).  I am going to attempt something but with my sourdough.  It should be interesting :).  We want to have Chinese food for New Years Eve (I did cheat and buy a pack of frozen appetizers though.  Like I said, I'm not perfect!).

Part of Kelly The Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesday!

2 comments:

Lacey said...

I am really trying to help us eat seasonally. We eat as much local food as we can in the summer, but in the winter we eat lots of citrus from FL & CA (try to keep 95% of our food from the US). I too froze lots of berries and veggies (from our local farmers) and canned salsa, sauces, etc. It really opens your eyes to the way produce should taste.

Found you @ Pennywise Platter :)

Carla said...

Thanks for visiting! Citrus is hard because it does not grow around here (or at all in my country, as far as I know). We also occasionally get bananas. Why does the best fruit have to come from warmer climates?