RSS

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Gluten Free Mac and Cheese

Kraft Dinner, not Gluten Free, or healthy for that matter!
Here in Canada we call it Kraft Dinner.  It is a staple in most homes.  They come up with clever ways to make it look better....Kraft Dinner with Whole Wheat!  Kraft Dinner Smart!  I imagine there will be new versions soon.

At my kids school, so many kids were bringing the small containers of them where you add water and cook they had to send a letter home asking parents not to bring them as they were clogging up the lines to reheat things in the microwave (I figure the kids have little enough time to eat that I send things in thermoses or  things that don't need to be heated).

Unfortuntately, this is one of Shaylee's favorite foods.  She often asks for it.  We never ate it a lot, maybe once or twice a month, but more than I liked.  We would often go months without it but it is one of those fast easy foods so I always had a box or two kicking around, even if Shaylee and Mark were the only ones who ate it.  I even used it as a math lesson last year where we would take a box, weigh it into serving size portions so we could cook just a small amount when Shay was the only one who ate it at all.

Anyway, that is behind us now that we're eating gluten free.  I don't have to feel bad giving her an inferior food with food like substances in it because now I can make something a little more nutritious.  Well, I guess the gluten free version isn't the most healthy food on earth but it is miles better than a chemical cheese product with funky noodles.

Her main requirement was that it not be stringy, like when you eat pizza and you get those long stretchy strands of cheese.  I made baked macaroni and cheese before and she didn't like that.

I used brown rice macaroni for this.  I had trouble cooking it as it kept boiling over, even when I only had enough water to just cover the noodles.  Then I had to add more water so it could cook enough.  I even drained them at one point when I thought they would be done and they weren't .  I bought them in bulk so I had no instructions.  In the end, it all came together.  Even though the noodles were very mushy, it was still tasty.

Shaylee claimed to like it but she didn't eat much saying she would rather have white cheese next time.  Sigh.  I thought it was pretty good!  (not low carb but I needed to try it out ;) ).


Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese

  • 1 cup brown rice elbow macaroni
  • 1/2 cup grated cheese of choice
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp arrowroot flour (or other starch, optional)
Served with a side of pan fried haddock, mmmmm!
Cook macaroni according to package instruction or until done.  Rinse well with cold water.  Put back on the stove on medium.  Add cheese, milk, butter and salt.  Heat until cheese and butter are melted.  If it is runny, you may add the arrowroot flour to thicken it.

0 comments: