RSS

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Healthy Brownie Waffles


I was going to post this tomorrow but it's too good not to share.  Healthy.  Brownie.  Waffles.  Three words that most people love.  So can brownies be healthy?  Waffles?  Sure, why not!  This is the same recipe I posted earlier with a slightly different method.  Mark thought it was a totally different recipe even though I only added cocoa.

I was asked to share this with the blog Food With Kid Appeal and I am more than happy to!  While I am always interested in things that I like to eat, I am always on the hunt for things that the kids will like.  It is even more challenging now that we are doing our gluten free trial.  Waffles are one of those things that are quick to put together and are always good.  Chocolate adds an extra specialness to them.  Ethan loved them and for him to love something makes me very happy :).  Shaylee said she liked the other ones better but I suggested making marbled ones some day and both the kids cheered.  Yay!

Chocolate Brownie Waffles


1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp maple sugar or honey (mix sugar with dry and honey with wet)
6 eggs
1tbsp vanilla
4 tbsp  melted butter or coconut oil (or a combination of the two)

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Add the eggs, one by one, mixing thoroughly between each egg. Add vanilla and melted butter (and honey, if using) and continue mixing until well combined.  Let sit 5-10 minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb the wet ingredients.  Let your waffle iron heat during this time.  Cook as per iron instructions or to desired doneness.  Serve with your favorite toppings.  We used real maple syrup but whipped cream and/or berries would be a nice addition.  So would a chocolate sauce or banana slices, or a combination of all of the above!  It would make a nice dessert as well as a main dish.

Enjoy!

Part of It's a KeeperSimple Lives Thursday, Real Food Wednesday and Pennywise Platter

It's a Keeper

6 comments:

It's a Keeper said...

HI! I'm hosting a link up this week -- It's a Keeper Thursdays! I hope you can come over and link up!

Thanks!
It's a Keeper
http://www.everydaytastes.com/
http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

jenna said...

you are making me want to try coconut flour. my problem is i use farm eggs and we are rationing them. if i use a ton to bake with we can't eat fried eggs for breakfast. might have to break the rules and get some store bought eggs just to give the coco flour a go. thanks for posting your results. i'm going to link up in my post.

Carla said...

Thanks, Christina! I went over and put my link up :)

Jenna, I usually use the store eggs for recipes. Right now I don't have access to farm eggs and when I do, they're too expensive to use so many in egg dense recipes (I'm trying to get over that thinking as I get eggs on sale for $2 and the farm eggs are $3.50 a dozen, but when you're counting pennies and going through 4-5 dozen a week, it adds up!).

Thanks for dropping by, guys!

Laura said...

OOOOOOh these look delicious! I am gonna have to try these.

MrsJenB said...

Oooooooh....You definitely have me intrigued here! I couldn't help but click on your link @ It's a Keeper. They look absolutely delicious. Plus naughty, which is always fun.

Glad I dropped by so I can drool over this! ;-)

Carla said...

Thanks, Laura and Jen! They are as good as they look, maybe even better!