RSS

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Random Thoughts Wednesday

Not much has been cooking in my kitchen lately, which is why there aren't many recipes being posted.  Our Valentines Meal was delicious!  I used the honey garlic sauce recipe I posted earlier and slowly cooked two large blade steaks, one which we ate and the second (after lots of snacking on it ;) ) was used for a stir fry.  I am trying to use up the food in our fridge freezer so I just heated the steak cut in slices, added a bag of frozen veggies (carrots, asparagus and peppers) then added the leftover sauce with a little water and arrowroot powder.  Oh, it was even better than the first time around!

Our dessert was based on Lauren's Red Velvet Cake.  I didn't add the food colouring because I am trying to avoid food dye but added more cocoa (like half a cup).  I also used about half a cup of brown sugar and vanilla yogurt instead of plain.  It was gooooood!  So very yummy and even the kids loved it!  I made it in a bundt cake pan with white cream cheese frosting and valentine sprinkles.  It's gone now but it served as a few meal replacements around here, lol!

The whoopie pies I made were very good!  The cookies alone are so soft and moist.  I have a lot left that I am thinking about making cake pops out of if no one eats them up soon (Elana's pantry has a bunch of gluten free cake pop recipes which are healthier than the first link provided).

I have been interested in Bento lunches for the kids for ages.  I first started finding out about them when we were still homeschooling so I never really made an effort to bother.  I loved reading blogs about bento lunches, but lost all the links I had.  A low carb blog I read, Your Lighter Side, sometimes mentions bento lunches she prepares.  When I got to remembering, I knew I had to do it.  Funny thing is the container I use for Shaylee's lunch is a bento lunch container but I never realized it, lol!  I just bought it because it was super marked down for a dollar at Sobeys.  I put bits and nibbles of things she likes in the top and bottom half.  I am having a hard time finding containers for sauces that don't leak that are smaller than half a cup but I am still looking locally before I check online.  I did order a set of two egg/rice molds and I can't wait to get them!!  After discovering they would be $28 to ship from Amazon.com (eeep!) I scoured the internet.  I found them at dealextreme and they are only $3.99 with free shipping!  I needed some Wii nunchucks anyway :).

Apparently Shaylee is feeling pressure from her friends not to eat much.  I thought she was losing weight from being gluten free (around 8lbs) but she said her friends don't eat much lunch so she doesn't either.  I tried to explain that her friends are small little girls and of course they would eat less (she weighs nearly twice as much as her friends but she is also a *lot* taller and very solidly built, not fat).  She is still hungry after lunch and since she is a slow eater, she doesn't have much time to eat anyway.  I want to find nutritious, nutrient dense foods which will keep her full longer.  I always stick in cheese and yogurt, but I think cute little eggs will both delight and nourish :)

Today I was shopping for yogurt and my eye caught something that looked yummy.  Stouffer's frozen foods has little cheeseburger sliders, like little pizza pockets.  I grabbed a box (sound familiar?  lol!! I never learn).  I put it in my cart then thought to read the ingredient list.  For your amusement, here it is:


Ingredients

BUN: WHEAT FLOUR, WATER, SUGAR, HYDROGENATED SOY OIL, YEAST, SALT, DOUGH CONDITIONER (CALCIUM SULPHATE, SALT, L-CYSTEINE HYDROCHLORIDE, GARLIC POWDER, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, FUNGAL PROTEASE), SODIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, MONOGLYCERIDES, ASCORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, SOY FLOUR, DRIED EGG YOLK (CONTAINS SODIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE). FILLING: COOKED SEASONED BEEF (GROUND BEEF, WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN [SOY FLOUR, COLOUR], SEASONING [SALT, DEXTROSE, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, ONION POWDER, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SPICES], SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, FLAVOUR), WATER, PART SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE PREPARATION (PART SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, FLAVOUR, COLOUR), CHEDDAR FLAVOURED PREPARATION (WATER, MODIFIED POTATO STARCH, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, SOY OIL, SALT, SODIUM ALUMINIUM PHOSPHATE,  SODIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, FLAVOUR, SORBIC ACID, COLOUR), SEASONING (CORN MALTODEXTRIN, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, SUGAR, SALT, ONION POWDER, TOMATO POWDER, PALM OIL, GRANULAR AND BLUE CHEESES [MILK, BACTERIAL CULTURES, SALT, MICROBIAL ENZYMES], CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUNFLOWER OIL, DEHYDRATED MUSTARD [VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, SALT, COLOUR], AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CITRIC ACID, SPICE, LACTIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOUR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, COLOUR, ASCORBIC ACID, TOCOPHEROLS, SILICON DIOXIDE), MODIFIED CORN STARCH.
MAY CONTAIN SESAME AND SULPHITES.



Um yeah, I put it back.  This is something I am going to attempt to make if the kids want.  They like the homemade pizza pockets but I'm not sure how well this would be received.  I will attempt a soaked flour version and a gluten free/low carb option.  I haven't been sticking to low carb lately but I know I need to get back at it.  I feel much better when I do.


So that is a wrap up of my random thoughts of the day.

1 comments:

Arthur said...

Im doing low carb and I agree that I seem to feel better. Looking forward to a recipe for this that meets low carb. I have not ventured very far into low carb baking, but it would definately add more variety to my diet (and my blog) if I knew some tricks.