RSS

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Locavore

This is a book I read recently that I meant to blog about but never got around to it.  I just became an Amazon Affiliate and decided to give a review of this book while I give this new feature a test drive!

First of all, I love the title: Locavore: From Farmers Fields to Rooftop Gardens, How Canadians Are Changing The Way We Eat.  I am a Canadian and very proud to be so.  It was nice to read a book about local eating geared to a country that has locations with very short growing seasons and not just eat potatoes and turnips.  Canada is becoming very diversified in terms of food.   I am constantly discovering new foods that are local that I never thought would grow or be processed around here.  It is exciting!

Now, it's been over a month since I read this so I can't remember all the details, just that her journey started with a cookie her daughter was eating.  When she found out where it came from and how many food miles that one little cookie had on it, how many parts of the process of getting that cookie to them,  she knew there was something wrong with this picture.  Sarah though of how she could have gone to a local bakery and supported a local business and have a healthier product for her child to eat.  I think some of us have these lightbulb moments and that is how we start the process of change.

I was very excited to read about one of my favorite places to stop, Noggins Corner in the valley (what we call the stretch from Digby to Windsor; this is more in the area of Greenwich).  They are no spray and have a good variety of food.  It is the first place I was brave enough to buy garlic scapes.  I've bought lots of fruits and veggies there over the years.

It really highlighted to me that we all have a hand in the future of our food.  We can do small bits on our own with home gardening but ultimately, we need to support our neighborhood farmers and eat as locally as possible as much as possible.  Local food depends on community support.  We need to think about what we are eating and where it comes from.

0 comments: