RSS

Friday, January 7, 2011

Low Carb Biscuit? Bread? Bagel?

Curried Turkey Drummies and Biscuit
I'm not sure what to call it, lol!!

I came across this recipe on the low carb friends message board but it was called and everything bagel.  I love those things!  About 13 years ago, I used to go to the YMCA with one of my friends where we would exercise for an hour then swim.  Afterwards we would always go to Tim Hortons for a bagel with cream cheese, lol!  Everything is the kind I always got.  It kind of defeated the purpose of getting exercise stuffing my face after with those great big carby bagels but I used to find any excuse to get my treats.

I'm usually not a "get off the computer and try something right now" kind of person, but this time I made an exception.  Here is the original recipe then I will post what I did.  The original thread it came from can be found if you click the link in the recipe title:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flaxbread "Everything Bagels” Makes 6 bagels. 

Dry: Mix these together (I keep bags of the dry ingredients mixed up in the fridge so it’s easy to put together a batch.) 

½ cup ground flaxmeal (I prefer golden) 
¼ cup almond flour 
1 ½ tsp. baking powder 
1/2 tsp. dry ranch powder 
1/4 tsp. each garlic and onion powder
2 T. parmesan cheese (green can) 
a pinch of salt

Wet: Mix these together: 
2 eggs (I use jumbo) 
2 T. Chia gel, optional. (If not using, replace with more oil. To make gel, mix ¼ cup chia seeds with 2 cups warm water. Stir, then let sit until thick. Store in fridge to add to lots of things. This adds good omega 3s.) 
2 T. oil 
½ cup shredded cheddar
Preheat oven to 350. Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring to blend. Let sit for 5 minutes. Divide batter evenly into a greased or sprayed muffin top pan. 

“Everything” Topping:
(I don’t measure, but just sprinkle on a little bit of each of the following: 
dehydrated onion and garlic flakes, kosher or sea salt, poppy and sesame seeds.
Bake in muffin top pan at 350 for 12-14 minutes.

The basic bread is 1 carb per bun. I don't know if the toppings change the count or not. The sesame seeds are net 0, but I know the onion and garlic can add up, depending on how much you use.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Ok, I'm back :).  I am in the process of cracking almonds as I want to see if it is more cost efficient to buy them in the shell so I used raw hulled sunflower seeds and the flax was whole (I keep it in the freezer).  I think you could use any nut or seed in this.  I didn't use the ranch mix.  I measured all the dry ingredients into a magic bullet cup and pulse blended until the flax and seeds were ground into a flour-like consistency.  I dumped it into a bowl and mixed in the wet ingredients, using an extra egg and yogurt instead of chia seed gel (which I plan to make when I can get my hands on some chia seeds).  I don't have a muffin top pan so I baked on a silicone baking sheet (wanted to try it out, great for not sticking!).  I also didn't add all the toppings, just topped with some dried onion since I love onion.  


These were delicious!  The onion and garlic taste wasn't strong enough in my opinion, so I would definitely add more, fresh would be better.  I am planning to try variations of it for different tastes.  I was tempted to make some to keep in the fridge or freezer but I know flax is best when just ground.


I had two for supper and have been drinking a lot of water as after I realized, that is a lot of fiber, lol!  I ate them warm slathered with butter, yum!  They are sturdy enough to use as a bun or as "bread" for a sandwich.  I am thinking egg salad, drool!


Now, in the picture I have the curried turkey drumsticks I made.  They didn't taste good to me so I tossed them after a couple of bites.  They were quite freezer burnt and they were just cheap grocery store freezer....stuff but I initially didn't want to waste them (they baked when I was making other things in the oven).  To make, I just put the drumsticks on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and sprinkle liberally with my curry blend powder and bake at 350-400 degrees.  Halfway through, I turn and coat the other side.  Bake until done, nice and crispy.


(note, I don't know why some of my posts get kind of funky halfway through.  I can't figure it out!)

0 comments: