RSS

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sick...Again! and a yummy recipe

I don't know what is going on  but I have been sick again this week.  Sinus, chest, head, blah!  The healthier I eat, the sicker I get!  I'll keep on trucking though.  I haven't seen results in weight loss since my initial big dip, but that's ok.

I wanted to get a few recipes up this week, but it fell to the back of my to do list behind resting and getting better.  I am glad I did my day of cooking as I have been able to enjoy good food without much work.

Right now I'm baking a coconut cream pie, low carb style!  I plan to turn it unto coconut cream pie ice cream and I cannot wait to see how that turns out!  I made the pie before and it was sooo good that I nearly ate the whole thing in a day with a sliver here, a sliver there but this time I'm going to be smart and portion it off and freeze pieces so I won't be nearly as tempted.  I am getting better at controlling myself around food than I used to (I have wanted to gorge on kettle chips for ages and haven't!).  I also won't be using splenda like I used to since I don't care of it and it makes me crave more.  I am using a small amount of xylitol and stevia.  I am trying to get used to less sweetness.

Well, before I give the whole thing away, I will post the recipe I used, even though I do not have a picture nor have I tasted it.  It smells amazing cooking though! (edited to add a picture and that it is yummy!)

Coconut Cream Blender Pie

1 cup full fat yogurt or cream (I have yogurt to use up so I used that)
1 can coconut milk (not light)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
4 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking power
pinch salt
1/4 cup xylitol
4 packets stevia (equals sweetening to 8 tsp as each packet is equal to 2tsp).

Blend well in a blender.  Pour in a large pie plate or a round casserole dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour or until top is golden brown and it is set.  Refrigerate overnight to help crust develop. 

4 comments:

Sue said...

This does look good. I think the coconut will work well with the stevia. I'll give it a try. Thanks. :)

Carla said...

Thanks! It is very good. I doubt much of it will end up in the freezer but I haven't been gorging on it :). I just added a picture to show what it looks like.

Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) said...

Hi Carla, I saw the name of your recipe and I just had to click on it to see what your spin on the concept was! Here is a link to my take on a blender Coconut Cake! http://www.andreaskitchen.net/2010/07/gluten-free-coconut-cake/
I love it that we went a little different direction with our creations! I also have a Coconut Mousse posted that you would probably like!

Carla said...

Thanks for dropping by and I liked the look of your recipes too. I may give them a try for when we attempt gluten free for the kids :)