RSS

Monday, October 18, 2010

100th Post!


Wow, 100 posts in this blog. Yay me!

I do not have a Monday Market Report today because I haven't been keeping track. Bad me. I didn't go to the farmers market and I have been trying to only buy necessities (eggs, milk, salad/veggies). I will not be buying much this week either as we will be away for the weekend.

For my 100th post, I have a very yummy meal to share. There is a little story behind it. I was making banana bread for the kids lunches so I thought I would use the extra space in the oven to bake some buttercup squash that was starting to get some bad spots. I then decided to make some curried drummies for snacks (the drummies from turkey wings baked with curry powder) and a small pork roast. When the squash was done, I was thinking of all the yummy pumpkin pie recipes I have been reading lately and since the banana bread wasn't quite done, I made a pumpkin custard, but with buttercup squash instead. The roast got overcooked and I had to do something with it. I was thinking of when we were at Acadian Maple, how all the maple seasonings were just maple sugar, salt and something else, either pepper, chili powder, ect...

The result for supper was maple pepper pork with buttercup squash custard! It was sooo good. The pork got really crispy and tasty without being overly sweet. Mark really liked the custard because I didn't make it very spicy (I prefer spicy personally). It worked well as a side dish and would be wonderful as a dessert with a dollop of whipped cream!

Maple Pepper Pork

1 small tenderloin pork roast (already cooked) or 2 cups of leftover pork
2 tablespoons of butter
salt to taste
generous shake of pepper
1-2 teaspoons maple sugar

Cut the pork into bite sized pieces or shred. Melt the butter in the frying pan over medium-high heat (not too hot though) then add the pork. Cook for a few minutes until heated through, turning once or twice. Add the seasonings and maple sugar. Cook for a few minutes more until the pork is well coated and crispy.


Buttercup Squash Custard

1/2 medium sized buttercup squash, roasted (baked in moderate oven until tender. You may also substitute other kinds of squash or use pumpkin. I didn't measure but I weighed the squash and it was 300g after I scooped it out of the shell)
1 can coconut milk (the full fat kind)
4 eggs
1/3 cup honey (local raw)
1/3 cup maple syrup (b-grade)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. all spice
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mash the squash then add the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour into a casserole dish (I used a bundt pan) and bake for about 30 minutes, until it is set but still jiggles a little bit. May be served warm or cool.

0 comments: