RSS

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chicken Soup x 2


There is a local Acadian chicken dish called Fricot which is very yummy. It is like a thick chicken stew full of chicken, potatoes, onions, sometimes dumplings (I don't) and a scattering of carrots. I sampled some at a farmers market and knew I had to try to make some.

You can buy fricot seasonings but to honour my Acadian roots, I just concocted something that looked and tasted good.

The reason why I called this chicken soup x 2 is the first night, it was a rich, hearty dish but the second day, we wanted something lighter so you'll see what I did ;)

Chicken Fricot

3 lbs of chicken thighs, skin on. You could also use a whole chicken
6 or 7 peeled and washed potatoes
4 peeled and washed carrots
2 peeled and washed parsnips
2 large onions, diced
salt and pepper to taste

Put the chicken thighs in a very large pot and cover with water (put a couple more inches of water above the height of the chicken). Add salt and pepper to taste as well as half of the onions and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour, until the meat is falling off the bones, adding more water if it reduces too much.

Remove all the chicken pieces making sure to get all the bones out. Put on a large platter and let cool until you can handle. Cut up all of the vegetables into small pieces and add to the broth. Let cook while you remove the meat. I only used half of the meat and saved the rest for a future soup or stew. Make sure you save the bones to roast for more broth.

Add the meat to the stew and let simmer. You may thicken if desired but it is not necessary. Serve.

This was very rich and hearty. My father who doesn't like chicken stew or parsnips LOVED it. He ate two heaping bowls. It was very good and very satisfying.

Second Time Around

4 cups of leftover fricot
4 cups of water
chicken spices if desired (I have a blend of sage, thyme, onion, garlic, marjoram and rosemary which was very nice)

Put these in a pot and bring to a gentle simmer over medium to medium high heat.

Mark actually liked it the second time around. He isn't as into rich food as I am. I thought both were equally good and will certainly make it again! The above picture is from the second day since I felt silly taking pictures of my food with Dad there.

Part of Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly The Kitchen Kop and Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet!

1 comments:

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Your soup sounds like a warming and comforting autumn dish.