RSS

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Crackers!


My kids love crackers. They really love soda crackers. I buy them by the big box when they're on sale since it's most economical. I decided a while back I would try to start making my own crackers even though I still have several pounds of soda crackers in the basement. I may have to make a food bank donation :)

I was going to wait and do sourdough, but I kind of killed my starter. Then the other day I came across Penny's cracker recipe and thought, this sounds easy! So I gave it a go.

I did decide that I would do the right thing and soak the flour first. Unfortunately, I forgot to add kefir but I did remember before I went to bed, so I just worked it in (it had already been soaking for 6 hours at this point. I was also soaking flour for bread. Can't believe I forgot!)

I decided to cut them in neat shapes to add to the appeal for the kids. Plus each shape is a different flavor :)

So here's my recipe with variations.

Soaked Flour Crackers

2 cups whole grain flour of choice (I used whole wheat)
3/4 cup warm water
2 tbsp. kefir (or whey or lemon juice)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp sea salt
cinnamon sugar (optional)
1 tsp. oregano and 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese (optional; enough for third of the batch of crackers)

The night before making, mix the kefir with the water and add to the flour. Mix well, kneading into a smooth ball. Cover and let sit overnight. When ready to make, preheat oven to 350 degrees and knead the salt and coconut oil into the dough. Knead until it is smooth. Take a piece, cover with plastic wrap or parchment paper and roll it out until it is very thin, but not too thin or it will burn. Cut out and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. If desired, sprinkle with sea salt or cinnamon sugar for a "pizza" tasting cracker (dried tomato powder could also be added). Use cookie cutters to make them fancy. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they do not burn. Let cool (they will crisp as they cool). Eat!

There are endless possibilities for variations on this cracker. These three are the ones I thought would appeal most to my kids since the are so picky. The strawberry crackers are the sea salt, the halloween shapes are the cinnamon and the star crackers are the "pizza" ones. I think they are all very tasty!

0 comments: