RSS

Friday, October 29, 2010

Turnip Au Gratin

On our valley trip last month, we got a big bag of turnip. These are now nestled safely in a tub of sawdust to help preserve them over winter. I do not have very many turnip recipes. None really. Either mashed or sliced and eaten raw or put in stews is about as creative as I get with turnips.

So I thought I would try something different. These are kind of like scalloped turnips but Turnips Au Gratin sounds a little better :)

Interestingly, around here, turnip and rutabagas are called the same things in the store. I was shocked when I found a true turnip at the farmers market and ended up buying a few. It is a much different taste. Although I say turnip, I actually used rutabagas, which have a milder taste. So that is my disclaimer ;)

Turnip Au Gratin

1 medium turnip (1-2lbs)
1/2 cup of cream
2 tablespoons of butter plus some for greasing
salt and pepper to taste
1/2-1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 cloves of garlic (or to taste)
2 slices of crumbed soaked bread

Peel the turnip and grate into thin slices (much easier if you have a food processor!). Grease an 8x8 baking dish. Fill with turnip and cream, tossing to lightly coat and seasoning to taste then top with little slices of the butter. Top with the grated cheese, grated garlic and bread crumbs, spread out evenly on top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until the turnip is tender.

3 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I used to make a similar turnip gratin, but it has been a while. We loved the unusual taste of the turnips and my kids would gobble it up. Course, a bit of heavy cream and cheese doesn't hurt it either!

daphne said...

What a creative idea. it's making me hungry!

Carla said...

Thanks! Cheese and cream helps everything :)